Living in a rented or temporary space often means giving up on good design. It's hard to justify investing in a home that you do not own, and may not know how long you will remain there. There is no need give up on living in style! Make your place your own without spending a fortune.
1. When you move in, ask the property owner to repaint for you. Push for white. It will instantly clean up and brighten your temporary abode. Feel free to add some interest with painted walls, but keep in mind the possibility that you will have to paint it back before you go.
2. Invest in furniture if you plan to take it to your next place with you, but opt for used items if you don't. Buying used does not mean you have to miss out on style. There are great bargains to be had at thrift stores and online. Well built wooden furniture items can be stained or painted for a new lease on life. Forget the colour, and instead look for shapes that suit your taste.
3. Buy items that can serve double duty, or work in various rooms. Without knowing what your next place has in store, it is best to find versatile pieces. Purchase kitchen chairs that could work in a dining room and vice versa. Below is a bar cart cum side table that gives you options for how to use it.
4. Bring interest and colour into your temporary space through the use of textiles, artwork and even light fixtures. Throw pillows, bedding, carpets, lamps and wall hangings can all move with you when you relocate. In the meantime they will make your space instantly feel like home. The key is to choose art and fabrics that work together so they will make a smooth transition into your next place.
5. Don't wait. As tempting as it can be to put off making your temporary house a home, you won't regret putting a bit of cash and elbow grease into your current space. Make sure you are spending on items you can take with you. Don't work against the space. If you have ugly counter tops, make them work the best you can, but don't spend a penny redoing them. Hate the fixtures? Oh well. Part of the fun of living in a temporary space is that you won't have to live with the quirks forever.
<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/2295365/?claim=afyatafxb83">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>